Kia ora (hello),
We are thrilled to be holding this year’s WIFT International summit in Aotearoa New Zealand alongside The Power of Inclusion summit (2-4 October). The Power of Inclusion is the first global summit of its kind in Asia Pacific, hosted by the New Zealand Film Commission and WIFTI with support from Walt Disney Studios.
Join us and be part of the global conversation around representation, belonging and inclusion in today’s screen, entertainment and technology landscape, all while exploring beautiful Aotearoa New Zealand.
All attending chapters will be invited to present their countries and regions! WIFTI encourages members to discuss this with your local film commission to get their support for your travels. You will bring forward information and knowledge about your country and will have the opportunity to present it to professionals from six continents.
Here are 10 reasons why you want to be at this momentous event:
- Influential New Zealand women: You will hear from influential New Zealand women such as Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern and multi award winning writer and director Niki Caro (The Zookeeper’s Wife, North Country, Whale Rider, Mulan).
- Manaakitanga: Wherever you go in New Zealand, you’ll be embraced as one of their own beginning with a warm welcome known as a pōwhiri. This is called Manaakitanga; a unique form of hospitality that you will experience throughout your stay.
- The New Zealand advantage: Learn more about how Aotearoa New Zealand’s variety of infrastructure, stunning locations, award-winning creatives and crew, experienced cast and competitive incentives scheme can work for your screen production.
- Family friendly: New Zealand is family friendly with a wide selection of family activities from cultural experiences to adventure activities. The summit is also offering a complimentary crèche.
- Experience New Zealand storytelling: Fascinating stories, captivating experiences, and legendary landscapes await you. At every place you travel in Aotearoa New Zealand you will find locals have rich stories to share of their past, legends and future.
- Explore Aotearoa New Zealand: Explore Aotearoa New Zealand’s film locations from the black sand beaches featured in The Piano to the mountainous landscapes of The Lord of the Rings Trilogy. Flights are easy to catch from city to city, and no flight is longer than two hours.
- Harbourside city: Auckland is the country’s largest city and with the Waitemata Harbour at its heart is known as the City of Sails. Experience Auckland’s beautiful beaches, hiking trails, and shopping.
- Food and wine: Taste your way around Aotearoa New Zealand and discover a distinct Pacific Rim cuisine that’s original, world-class, and fresh from the source including seafood, cheese, lamb, beef and award-winning wines.
- Spring in Aotearoa New Zealand: October is spring in Aotearoa New Zealand. The climate is temperate and it’s a great time of year to visit attractions such as the Hobbiton Film Set, where the Middle‐earth gardens are in full flower.
- It’s easy to get there: Aotearoa New Zealand is only a sleep and a film away.
For more information and to register, please go to powerofinclusion.co.nz
WIFTI AT CANNES 2019
WIFTI hosted a successful event in a white castle during Cannes Film Festival with NY WIFT, Time’sUp, AFCI and Frontiéres. The event was supported by WIF LA, Hollywood Reporter and Outerinsight. Here is the welcoming speech and the statement for gender parity WIFTI did together with Time’sUp.
Helene Granqvist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-ftN4n0DIM&t=1s
Dame Heather Rabbatts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dFhS-xs3tw&t=6s
We also launched our WIFTI Talks – a series of talks with scholars and practitioners from all over the world about gender parity – https://www.wifti.net/knowledge/- please share if you know someone that should be part of this. This is about creating a network of knowledge and highlighting the fantastic research that is being done all over the world!
WIFTI CHANNEL ON HERFLIX
We took the first steps for the WIFTI Channel on Herflix – a channel where all WIFTI members are welcome to distribute their films, with a business model and in all formats.
Get in touch with firstname.lastname@example.org if you have a film you want to distribute!
The success for the program 10%for5050 continues! Now Studio Babelsberg, Europe’s biggest studio, is on board! Also William F White, service provider from coast to coast in Canada, Periscope in LA, Orka Film, the biggest post production company in Poland, among others will now give a 10% discount to gender balanced productions. Read more at www.10percentfor5050.com
Ngā Manaakitanga (with best wishes),
We hope to see you soon,